Here's an easy recipe for both canned and frozen apple pie filling with some great info on comparisons of thickeners! Enjoy friends!
Each product works differently and is better suited to particular recipes depending on if it is cooked or not. Be sure to check the recipe and understand the differences before you interchange them. I use Perma-flo in my canned pie filling because of the after taste I feel Clear-jel leaves.
Here’s my recipe for canned pie filling along with a BONUS recipe from my cookbook, Lovingly Seasoned Eats & Treats.
Canned Pie Filling
2 c Perma-flo
2 c cold water
7 c sugar
6 c water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
24 c peeled, cored and sliced apples
*6 drops red food coloring, optional
1. In a separate bowl combine the Perma-flo and 2c water; stir until dissolved
2. In a large kettle combine the 6c water, sugar, salt and food coloring; bring to a rolling boil.
3. Stir the Perma-flo- water mixture again; then very slowly begin pouring the mixture into the boiling liquid, like adding eggs to a pudding, stirring constantly. Once it thickens to a goop, remove from heat, add cinnamon and apples. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
4. Fill quart jars, leaving an inch head space; wipe the rims of the jar; put lid and rings on tightly.
5. Water bath process 30 minutes or pressure can at 5#’s pressure for 5 minutes. Place the jars on a towel on counter and leave for 48 hours to ensure proper seal.
Freezer Apple Pie Filling
This recipe can be found in my cookbook, Lovingly Seasoned Eats & Treats on page 427 in the canning section.
6 c water
1 c Instant Clear-jel
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
5 c sugar
1 stick butter
16 c of peeled, cored and sliced apples
1. Combine sugar, Instant Clear-gel, lemon juice with 1 c cold water in a large kettle; stir until thoroughly mixed
2. Add remaining 5 cups water and 1 stick of butter. Cook on low heat until thick; cool.
3. Mix in apples, place in freezer containers and freeze.
*TIP: I use wide mouth quart jars for pie filling if possible because it is much easier to get out when you’re ready to use it.
Do you have green or Eco-friendly tips and tricks? We know you do, send them to us for an opportunity to be a Guest Blogger. What better way to build your community by sharing your knowledge?
1st Green Clean - A Leader in Home Management Services
This holiday season give the gift of a healthier home.
1st Green Clean prides itself as a premier leader in residential home management services. 1st Green Clean is a luxury service provider we accept a limited number of appointments, we have an exclusive and limited clientele. When you invest in a home, you want a service provider that invests time in managing your home service needs, comprehensive consultation, and the security of reliable service.
P.S. Hurry! Our services are exclusive and strictly limited. Don’t miss out!
Call now! 866-905-9002 ext. 104
How may we service you?: http://www.1greenclean.com/our-services.html
Tweet with us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/1stGreenClean
Fan us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/1st-Green-Clean/171400231379
Pin with us on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/1stgreen/pins/