I've been experimenting with making more things at home, especially things that, when store-bought, are nothing more than chemicals. (Stay tuned for shampoo, detergent and dish soap!) Last week a friend posted on Facebook about the carageenen in a number of products, including my preferred brand of almond milk. Carageenen, while a "natural" ingredient has been tied to inflamation and bleeding of the stomach in humansand even cancer in animals! And, as I was looking at the label, I realized there was lots of other things besides almonds in my almond milk. Which seems unnecessary. So, I looked up a few recipes online, and made my own.
- 1 cup raw, organic almonds. Soak for at least 24 hours. I soaked for 48 hours, just to make sure they would blend!
- 4 cups purified water.
- Drain the almonds and put in blender. Add the 4 cups of purified water.
- If you like the vanilla milk, a drop or 2 of vanilla extract. Or add a drop or 2 of honey to sweeten. I left mine unsweetened, and still thought it was great!
- Blend until liquid.
- Put a cheesecloth over your container of choice for your milk (I recycled pasta sauce jars). Strain the almond milk blend through the cheesecloth.
- You can keep the almond puree in your freezer for baking or make a body scrub!
- Refridgerate the almond milk!
The entire process (besides the soaking, obviously!), took me less than half an hour!
In addition to having less chemicals in my body, I spent less! I bought raw, organic almonds at Whole Foods for $6.99/lb. I bought a 1/2lb, so it was about $3.50, which is about the price of 32oz of store-bought almond milk. The recipe calls for 1 cup of almonds, and it looks like I'll get about 3 cups from the 1/2lb, and with each cup of almonds making 32oz of milk, that means I'm paying a third of the price!
I hope you try this at home! Leave me a comment about your process!
When she’s not running her 4 business, you can find her voraciously reading, listening to podcasts or webinars, usually at the beach!
Her first 10 minute workout— Thigh Toning and Booty Blasting — is now available on CABARRET’s website.
Find out how to work with Nicole at www.nicolelabonde.com.
I'm currently in my 90 Day Game Plan! Do you have 90 Days to change your health and wealth? Call me! I want you on my team!
On the Web: